Key nutrients during pregnancy:
Quality protein – chicken, pork, beef, fish, tofu, beans, lentils, eggs
Adequate calories – extra 300-500 calories per day
Vitamin C – 100mg
Calcium – 1000 – 1200mg
Vitamin D – 1000 IU
Folate/Folic acid – 800 mcg to 1000 mcg (1 mg)/day
DHA – at least 200mg/day
- Choose high quality prenatal supplement to take 3 months prior to conception and continue until you stop breastfeeding. You will not get enough calcium from prenatal supplement alone so you may want to add additional calcium supplement if you are not getting enough through your diet.
- When choosing high quality prenatal supplement; please look for the activated or higher bioavailable form of folic acid, iron and calcium.
- To learn more about choosing quality supplement; check out my website in November 2017.
Food to avoid:
- Raw eggs, sushi, unpasteurized juice, high mercury fish, high level of caffeine, cured meats, alcohol
- Fresh produce – fruits and vegetables are great but make sure you wash them thoroughly. Don’t eat salad daily, enjoy occasionally. Key is variety of fruits and vegetables – choose one that you feel good after eating.
Do Kegel exercises to regain strength in your pelvic muscles. You can do these exercises while you stand or sit.